Title: Associate II – Innovations Team
Location: Southern California
Salary: Associate II: $60,000-70,000/salary
Summary: With direction from the team leads, this position is responsible for assisting with an array of internal and external (client-facing) projects related to housing and homelessness policy and planning, including research and analysis, education and training, strategic initiatives, community engagement, business development, and marketing functions across the firm.
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the position is remote until such time as California public health officials determine it safe to resume professional activities safely in person. However, when normal professional activities resume, regular travel to San Diego headquarters may be required.
LeSar Development Consultants is a social innovation firm that assists our clients with growing healthy, sustainable, and vibrant communities. Our mission is to end the housing affordability crisis and homelessness in California and beyond. We provide creative solutions to complex problems with our expertise in housing, homelessness, resiliency, and community and economic development. Our clients include public agencies, non-profit organizations, foundations, utilities, business associations, and other stakeholders looking to create physically and economically sustainable communities.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
May include the following and other duties may be assigned.
- Assist in conducting research to inform policies, programs, practices, and tools to advance policies that support equitable and sustainable land use, housing development, and solutions to homelessness.
- Support the development and facilitation of planning processes and workshops to guide clients through the process of identifying and realizing their goals, challenges, aspirations, and opportunities.
- Work in collaboration with subject matter experts to develop trainings and toolkits on housing and homelessness policy that utilize principles and methods for effective adult learning and collaboration.
- Research and write reports incorporating findings and actionable recommendations and present findings/recommendations to clients and their stakeholders.
- Coordinate the development and management of learning networks and cohorts to facilitate collaborative learning.
- Synthesize policy developments, funding opportunities, and reports on affordable housing, homelessness, and other designated areas for clients and stakeholders
- Maintain ongoing communications with internal team members, clients, and external stakeholders as appropriate to fulfill contractual obligations within budget and schedule constraints.
- Prepare monthly project reports for designated clients as requested.
- Build and maintain a business development opportunities database and establish policies and procedures for identifying opportunities through existing and new sources.
- Monitor business development opportunities and collaborate with client-facing teams to produce proposals or other business development materials as required.
- Prepare proposal responses (RFP/Qs, etc.).
- Prepare proposal templates (cover letter, general firm information, required forms).
- Coordinate with team leads to complete scopes of work and budgets.
- Format proposals according to RFP/Q or other bid requirements.
- Copyedit submission materials.
- Print, bind, and ship proposal responses and/or prepare digital submissions.
- Assist team leads in preparing interview presentation materials.
- Collect business development outcomes data and analyze results to identify areas of success and performance improvement. Schedule debrief calls for team leaders with procurement officials when submissions are unsuccessful.
- Assist with strategic research, planning, and scheduling for business development initiatives and meetings.
- Develop and/or maintain marketing collateral, including brochures, proposals, presentations, and websites:
- Continually update existing content and develop new content as directed.
- Work with graphic designers to update existing or create new templates.
- Assist with research, writing, and preparation of monthly newsletters.
- Regularly gather and report on marketing outcomes data from sources including WordPress, Constant Contact, and Google Analytics.
Core Position Competencies
1. Ability to:
- Strong analytical abilities and experience performing qualitative and quantitative research as demonstrated in an academic and/or professional environment.
- Communicate clearly and effectively orally and in written reports and presentations.
- Take directions and work within deadlines to produce deliverables in support of senior staff.
- Interface with LDC staff, client contacts, vendors, and procurement contacts with a high degree of professionalism and sensitivity to political, economic, sociocultural, and technological context.
- Facility with the Microsoft Office and Adobe suites and familiarity with WordPress, Constant Contact, and other web-based applications.
2. Client, Project, and Team Management
- Function as a team player who is collaborative, flexible, solutions-oriented, and able to deal with ambiguity.
- Organize work, set priorities, and exercise sound judgment within areas of responsibility.
- Remain calm and effective while working under pressure to meet multiple deadlines and short time constraints.
- Handle sensitive information in a professional and confidential manner.
- Support internal project teams effectively.
Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in urban studies, planning, public policy, social work, business, real estate, or communication. Master’s degree in one of these or a related field preferred for Associate level.
- Participation in firm’s medical, dental, vision, long-term disability, and life insurance plans with firm contributions of up to $500 per month
- Participation in the firm’s 401(k) plan, with firm contributions of 3% of your compensation per plan year (subject to vesting requirements)
- Reimbursement of up to $40 per month for cell phone costs and up to $72 per month for commuting to work via public transit
- 10 paid holidays per year
- Paid time off:
- 15 days of paid time off annually
Submit the following materials to firstname.lastname@example.org.
1. Cover letter indicating:
- Interest in the position
- Relevant skills and experience
- Available start date
3. 2-3 professional or academic references
4. Writing sample that reflects ability to communicate complex information in a proposal or grant application
5. Submission of PowerPoint presentation sample a plus
LeSar Development Consultants is an equal opportunity employer. Employment decisions are based on needs, job requirements, and individual qualifications without regard to race, ethnicity, religious belief, national origin, gender identity and/or expression, age, disability status, medical history, sexual orientation, marital or family status, past or present military service, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the State of California. LeSar Development Consultants is also committed to affirmative action in the hiring of staff and encourages employment applications from people who are representative of the culturally and ethnically diverse communities that we serve.