Title: Associate/Senior Associate – Housing Policy and Finance Team and Innovations Team
Location: San Diego and Bay Area
Salary Ranges: Associate $55,000-$70,000; Senior Associate $75,000-$90,000
About Us: The mission of LeSar Development Consultants (LDC) is to end the housing crisis and homelessness in California and beyond. We are a systems-change focused firm comprised of experts in housing policy, real estate development, finance, systems change, and homelessness services delivery and systems change policy.
We provide creative solutions to complex problems with our expertise in community development, urban planning, real estate development, housing, homelessness, and civic and community engagement. Our clients include collaborative bodies, public agencies, private firms, foundations, business associations, and other stakeholders working to end the housing and homelessness crises.
LDC is committed to diversity in its leadership and staff, and actively seeks a diverse pool of candidates that are representative of California’s communities.
Summary: Seeking to hire 2 staff, one at the Associate level and one at the Senior Associate level, with at least one position located in San Diego. Seeking detail-oriented, self-motivated and creative professionals to undertake a broad range of housing policy, planning, legislative, development program and finance assignments within a collaborative, team-oriented environment.
Representative engagements include housing production and planning assessments, legislative and funding analysis, housing policy and program development, creation of Consolidated Plans, Housing Elements, market studies and facilitation of collaborative decision-making bodies.
Support an array of clients ranging from collaborative partnerships, private sector firms, trade associations, and government entities, to social sector firms. Work as an integral part of one of our teams focused on a variety of activities. The ideal candidate will be intellectually curious, concerned about the housing and homelessness crisis, committed to achieving inclusivity, and passionate about helping under-represented and under-served communities. Deep knowledge of California housing and planning laws and regulatory environment a plus. Must be team-oriented and an excellent internal and external communicator. Positions report either to the Housing Policy and Finance Team Lead or to the CEO and Innovations Team Lead.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities may include the following on the list below, and other duties may be assigned.
1. Help create and apply industry-leading solutions to the most challenging strategic and organizational issues facing our clients.
2. Act as a project lead to coordinate activities, meet deadlines, create and deliver high quality products within budget and time limitations.
3. Provide training and technical assistance on a variety of topics related to housing.
4. Facilitate client meetings as well as larger stakeholder meetings.
5. Speak publicly at various committees, meetings, and/or conferences and represent the Company at events and meetings.
6. Build and/or maintain relationships with key stakeholders.
7. Keep current on trends and policy changes in the areas of housing markets, affordable housing, supportive housing, homelessness, sustainable communities, strategic planning, and community engagement.
8. Organize, manage, and synthesize qualitative and quantitative data.
9. Perform research and summarize findings in formal reports, including narrative, table and presentation (e.g., PowerPoint) formats. Research to include federal, state, and local policy issues, as well as planning documents, budgets, fees and legislation.
10. Write and edit content for requests for proposals/qualifications.
11. Engage prospective clients for new business and discuss new opportunities with the housing policy and finance team.
12. Assist with marketing materials as needed, including website content, strategic communication tasks and updating company social media platforms.
13. Write and edit content for company newsletters.
14. Assemble and maintain professional collateral materials to support business development efforts.
15. Manage budgets, teams, and subcontractors, ensuring that productivity is in line for projects to be completed in a timely manner.
16. Travel in California and other locations as needed.
Core Position Competencies
1. Knowledge of:
a. Policy issues and legislative processes related to housing, homelessness and real estate and urban development.
b. Public sector funding mechanisms and programs with emphasis on housing, homelessness, human services and rental assistance programs.
c. The affordable and supportive housing industry and key players.
d. The public sector approval process.
2. Ability to:
a. Perform research and writing tasks at an advanced/graduate level.
b. Organize work, set priorities and exercise sound judgment within areas of responsibility.
c. Address and prioritize multiple deadlines and deliverables.
d. Take direction and work within deadlines in support of CEO and senior staff.
e. Communicate clearly and effectively orally, in writing and through public presentations.
f. Maintain an appearance appropriate to a professional services firm.
3. Client, Project, and Team Management
a. Organize work, set priorities and exercise sound judgment within areas of responsibility.
b. Remain calm and effective while working under pressure to meet multiple deadlines and short time constraints.
c. Handle sensitive information in a professional and confidential manner.
d. Establish priorities and meet multiple deadlines.
e. Engage stakeholders and lead internal project teams effectively.
f. A true team player who is collaborative, flexible and able to deal with ambiguity.
Education/Experience: Master’s Degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in planning, public policy, social work, business, real estate or other relevant degree. Prior work experience of at least one to three years of experience for the associate level, and five to ten years of related and increasingly responsible experience at the senior associate level.
Leadership: Demonstrated external leadership ability within a professional trade association, community group, or in a university setting. Demonstrated internal leadership within employment settings.
Physical Demands: While performing the duties of this position, the employee is regularly required to sit, use hands, communicate via telephone, reach with hands and arms. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Please email a cover letter, resume, portfolio, to Careers@lesardevelopment.com
Portfolio should include the following materials:
1. Writing sample(s)
2. PowerPoint presentation sample
3. Three references