Who We Are
Our mission is to provide capacity solutions for strong, resilient communities. Founded by Jennifer LeSar, LeSar Support Services (LSS) is part of a portfolio of three distinct companies that work closely together to address issues critical to ending the housing affordability and homelessness crises:
- LeSar Development Consultants (LDC): collaborates with leaders in creating large-scale, lasting social change through customized consulting services focused on creating physically, economically, and environmentally resilient communities
- Global Policy Leadership Academy (GPLA): prepares professionals and civic leaders to advance solutions to intractable societal challenges through a deep commitment to the development of shared knowledge, best practices, and collaboration.
- LeSar Support Services (LSS): helps clients design, plan, implement, and manage large socialimpact initiatives through financial intermediary, case management, community benefit organization liaison and contracting, and grants management services.
Our approach weaves equity into effective solutions that embrace best practices. Headquartered in San Diego with offices in Los Angeles and Sacramento, our nationwide team of over 100 professionals serves a diverse variety of clients in the private, public, philanthropic, and non-profit sectors. We are a proud WBE and SBE.
This newly created position represents an extraordinary opportunity to amplify impact for our public, private, and non-profit clients through capacity building and program planning. Reporting to the LSS Director of Programs, the Senior Associate will work on a diverse case load of clients, including city,
county, and state governments, non-profit entities, foundations, health care organizations, and others.
This position will have a high degree of responsibility working both independently and helping to manage teams. The Senior Associate will build a portfolio of personal clients and projects and be responsible for managing deliverables and tasks from inception through completion. The Senior
Associate will have a significant role in supporting the Director of Programs and C-suite staff with business development activities at both the strategic and tactical levels.
This is an excellent opportunity for a knowledgeable, dynamic, and strategic individual to take on high profile responsibilities in a rapidly growing company.
Anticipated focus allocation for this position:
- Grant writing services and grants management activities—40%
- Federal/state program implementation and monitoring—40%
- Business development—10%
- Other job-related duties as needed—10%
Duties & Responsibilities
Grant writing and grants management services:
- Work with clients to plan, develop, and implement strategic community investment grantmaking initiatives, including setting desired outcomes, creating timelines, and working with the finance team on managing grantmaking budgets.
- Develop grants materials including collateral, applications, award notification letters, reporting materials, etc.
- Work with public sector clients on large and complex grant applications, including multimillion dollar applications to state and federal agencies. Grants writing may include program design, planning, and budgeting, securing collaborative partnerships, creating complex budgets, and
crafting appropriate outputs and outcomes.
Planning, implementation, and monitoring of complex federal and state programs:
- Assist clients, usually city or county governments or non-profit organizations, with planning and implementation of large and complex federally- and state-funded programs, including programs from HUD and the State of California.
- Create staff trainings and policies and procedures to ensure appropriate compliance with complex federal- and state-funded programs.
- Work with clients to create monitoring and reporting processes for large, complex programs, including creating and submitting forms and reports, and doing data collection and analysis.
Business Development and other activities:
- Work with internal team on identifying and responding to solicitations (e.g., RFQs, RFPs, etc.), including drafting narrative responses describing our program approach and qualifications, as well as drafting budget documents.
- Support the LSS team, as well as project teams in sister companies GPLA and LDC as needed, with project and staff management.
- Other duties as assigned (e.g., creating LSS communications materials such as mass emails, social media posts, website copy, etc., serving on company-wide staff committees, completing relevant topical research, etc.).
Benefits & Features
- Salary range: $90,000-$97,500
- Remote work or flexible hybrid option
- Reimbursement of up to $100 per month for cell phone and/or home office internet expenses and up to $25 per month for home office supplies
- Participation in the firm’s 401(k) plan, with firm contributions of 3% of your compensation per plan year (subject to vesting requirements)
- Employee Professional Development Allowance
- Six-month evaluations with excellent growth potential
- Medical, dental and vision coverage, long-term disability, and life insurance
- 15 days of PTO annually, with allocation increasing every year of employment
- 11 paid holidays
- Participation in firm’s medical, dental, vision, long-term disability, and life insurance plans with firm contributions of up to $500 per month
Ideal Candidate Profile
- Seven to ten years’ experience working in public policy, planning, government, non-profit management, social work, legal aid, or similar field.
- Bachelors in a related field. Masters’ degree strongly preferred.
- Demonstrated experience in program and policy design and implementation, especially related to affordable housing, homelessness solutions, community and economic development, and similar.
- Excellent MS Office skills, including Outlook, Word, PPT, Excel, Teams, and Sharepoint. LSS also occasionally uses Zoom, Slido, Dropbox, Gsuite, MailChimp, Word Press, ClickUp, and other programs as needed. Knowledge of Adobe Acrobat and ADA document remediation a plus.
- Knowledge of complex federal and state programs, such as CDBG, CDBG-DR, CoC, ESG, HOME, housing trust fund, Public Housing programs and voucher types, Medicaid and Medi-Cal, etc.
- Excellent follow-through and attention to detail, meets deadlines.
- Superb verbal, written, and people skills; demonstrated ability to effectively communicate with various internal and external stakeholders.
- Experience with California government and public policies a plus.
- Spanish language skills a plus.
- One to three years staff management experience a plus.
LSS is an equal opportunity employer. LSS strongly encourages people of color, people with disabilities, veterans, first-generation college graduates, those born in other countries, LGBTQIA+, and all other qualified individuals to apply.
Leadership & Culture
LeSar is led by an experienced senior staff of proven industry professionals dedicated to fostering a culture of inclusivity, transparency, and growth. The Senior Associate will report to the Director of Programs. The incumbent will join a dynamic team of LSS and other LeSar companies’ staff, including talented experts with decades of experience in the private, non-profit, and public sectors. Working collaboratively, we leverage our expertise, experience, and creativity to solve complex, multi-disciplinary challenges and make positive, lasting change in communities.
This role will be remote, with the option of flexible-hybrid if the incumbent is San Diego-based. Occasional travel may be required from time to time. Note that LeSar staff are primarily based in Southern California, but we have staff in five states and three time zones.
Please submit resume and cover letter to: [email protected] and include “Senior Associate” in the email title.